Monday, October 28, 2013

2013-10-28: Two Dog Bites, One Shooting, and Everything's Great



Hunter's last 2 emails are below:

10/21/13 email

Hunter’s email is short. 

Hey first I will answer your question… no, they do not have spaghetti mixes and things in the apartment but you can buy them at the market.   You can cook in your apartment whatever you want to cook. You don't need to send any mixes I am good for now.  I'm not feeling baggy yet.  Hermana Jackie's cooking is really good and she cooks a lot for us.  Don't worry mom I'm eating haha!  We have about 12 or 13 investigators progressing and everyday we teach people.  The work is very different from what you might think it is.  Many people get the conception that we knock on doors all day but we have a thing called Plan A, B, and C.  Plan A is working with the leaders of the church to get work done with investigators.  Plan B is working with members of the church to do work such as members during investigator lessons, and Plan C is solo missionaries.  We want to be working Plan A and B all the time, because it is always more powerful when the investigator sees someone they know or a native is normal and part of the Mormon Church.

We placed a fecha(date) for a baptism in November, and hopefully it doesn't fall through.  Things are going good here, my companion is really great and the zone is cool.

I am starting a study journal as I begin reading the Libro De Mormon again and I am starting to see things that I have overlooked my whole life.

I am trying to do good over here, and I am surviving!  I guess dad is right... I am comfortable being in uncomfortable place.  I am getting eaten alive by bugs as I sleep.  I have started using the bug spray and the past few nights were okay.  

Have a good week guys! I will talk to you next Monday!

10/28/13 email

My week was good and we did a lot.  I have a few stories to tell you.  I got bit by 2 dogs in 2 different members’ houses.  The first is at this lady’s house named Mama Concha, and she has this chucha (dogs are called Chucho or Chucha here) from off the street in the back of the house and as we were going upstairs it bit me in the ankle, but luckily I wear my army boots everyday so the bite didn't pierce.  Speaking of boots, I just realized that these boots have seen so much terrain in it’s lifetime …. they are really dependable and it would be cool if you could find a pair for me and hold on to it so I have a new pair for when I get back?  

So the second dog was in a yard of a member’s house in an area of our area called Potrero Grande.  I was walking towards the house with the hermana that owns the house, and my companion.   And then this Chucha walks up to me sniffs my thigh then bites me, and I thought for sure that it broke skin because this dog was way bigger than the last one that bit me, and the bite was really strong.  But when I checked my thigh, I saw that it didn’t penetrate and that it only poked small holes in my pants, but all in all I just have a small bruise from the bite.  

The next crazy story, and this is the highlight of my week... is that one night when we were leaving the Jardines (area) from a lesson with a family.  We were walking down this hill to get back to the Joya where we live, and this hill leads down to a little intersection that all the buses stop at and there are a few small tiendas(stores) at the bottom of this hill.  So we are walking down this hill and all of a sudden we hear "pop, pop, pop, pop" and then we freeze, look at each other and we are like "crap, that’s gunshots!"  So then we continue walking down this hill, and people are running up this hill because the gunshots came from the intersection.  A tuktuk (little red moped transportation vehicles) comes up and we get in, but he can’t get through the intersection because of all the people, so he lets us out, and we walk through this intersection and ask people what happened.  In the intersection there was a yellow school bus that is all souped out with paint like all of them are (the kind we ride everywhere), but people were running away and screaming and stuff.  When we asked what happened they said that a man shot the bus driver 4 times and ran out of the bus into the night. The ambulance already took the driver away, and there were many people there, but as we continued walking down the road towards the Joya, I realized that we had been blessed.  If our lesson had been a minute or two shorter, we would have been in that intersection, and it is a fact here that if there are witnesses to a crime and they know you saw their face that they will blow your brains out.  So I realized that every question that went on in that lesson, every pause, every answer, helped to prolong our time there so we would not be in danger.  The Lord works in mysterious ways, and we may not know why things happen the way they do, or why blessings or opportunities come at different times and in different places, but everything happens for a reason.  The Lord has a plan for each and every person in the world, and through obedience and faithfulness, everyone can be blessed and their paths guided in all that they do.  

I don't know why I tore my ACL during that season of football, or during this past season of baseball, but I know that those things prepared me and helped me grow.  I know that if I had not been injured, I would not have been able to meet the people I did, or go to the area I am in now, or experience the things that I am experiencing now.  At the time, I didn't know why, and I admit that I am a little ashamed that at the time my testimony wasn't strong enough to handle the experience, so I got angry.  I now realize that every experience is there to strengthen you and make you a better person.

Today, guess where we went for our P-day zone activity?  BOWLING!  Haha it was really fun... Okay, when you send things don't worry … the system is pretty good here and Elder Trupp said that he received all his packages.  They told us not to put the religious stickers because it makes you seem like you are trying too hard to bring things into the country.

We are doing well in Palencia and we have a few good progressing investigators, but it is really frustrating when people do not do their part and complete our challenges to pray, etc.  We can only help them as much as they want us to.  You can't give someone a true testimony, they are the only ones that can get it for themselves.

We set another baptismal fecha(date) and we are trying to work with the other, because she doesn’t come to church, and we can’t baptize her if she doesn’t go to church.  A lot of people don't go to church because it is too great of a sacrifice, so we have to really teach them the value of church and what it can do for them.

All in all I had a really good week and still going strong and not feeling baggy.  Hey, I have to go now time is up have a good week, I love you guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment