Thursday, May 21, 2015

2015-05-18: In Beautiful Puerto Barios


New area, my 3rd son, Filipinos; and mom... I guess your prayers were answered!‏
Note: We have been praying that he gets to see the rest of Guatemala not just the capital.  Hopefully he gets to see some ruins and many historic sites before he heads home.

I got changed on Tuesday to PUERTO BARRIOS!!!  Hahaha It is on the beach!  It’s the farthest area away from the capital. 


I am training my third son in the mission.  His name is Elder S from Bolivia.  I just turned 20 and my son is 23 years old.   He has been a member for only a year and two months now.  He just completed the year then came out.  He is good, kind of different, but good.


Monday night I said goodbye to all the people I met in Alameda.  It was so hard to say goodbye to the people that I have learned to love.  That one family again made me a cake!  But it was good.  I enjoyed my time there.  Now I have to focus on the work to come.

(Hasta Siempre - Until always/forever - literal translation)
Farewell, Until next time or I'll keep you in my thoughts

On Tuesday, I woke up at 5 in the morning to pack my bags.  Then at 8:00, the taxi came and we went to zone 6 for changes.  They gave me the changes, I met my companion and then we got on a bus to go outside the capital.  The bus ride was 6 HOURS!  Haha I have not sat that long since the flight to get here.  We left at 1:30 pm and got to Puerto Barrios at 8:15 because we took a 15-minute pit stop.  We had to find the house and get the keys from the branch president because we are opening the area.   The house we have is HUGE!  It has a carport, 3 bedrooms, a patio, a huge bathroom, a kitchen, and a huge living room. 


We got settled in and got ready for the next day.  The rest of the days of the week have blown by like the wind.  We are just working hard to get things up and running, and I know and testify that the Lord is blessing us with miracles.  We found a guy whose name is A that is just covered in tattoos that has just gotten out of jail a month ago.  His mom and brother are members and he went to church for the first time one week before we got there.  He wants to change and be a better person because he has not seen his mom in his whole life.  Because of problems at 9 months of age he was taken from the family, and since then has lived a rough life.  We have taught him 2 times so far and he has dropped smoking, drinking, and drugs since the time he left jail, and we have a baptismal date with him for the 30th of this month.  We also put another baptismal date for next month with another guy that seems promising, and we are just working hard. 

We found a lady from the Philippines.  She speaks Ilocano and we are teaching the family.  She is from Iloilo something like that.  I told her that my mom is Ilocano too.  I guess she came here on a ship.

The members here are good.  Only about 80-100 people go to church every week because it is a branch not a ward.  We also have a lot of reactivation to get done here.  There are a lot of inactive people in the branch here.  I am the district leader.  There are 5 hermanas in my district and not many elders here in the zone. 

Other than that, things are great and the weather here is suuuper, suuper HOT and HUMID!  I sit at my desk to study and I drip, drip, and drip with sweat.  I am just soaked and covered with sweat walking around the area and during our lessons.  I love it though.  I love the area.  A lot of work to be done, but we are ready to take on the area and see what we can do to bring it up.

Until next week!  Love you guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment