Monday, August 4, 2014

2014-08-04: By the Grace of God He Takes Care of Us


Hey guys, I hope everything went well this past week for all of you!  Well J got baptized the 2nd of August.  He did not go to church the week before the baptism so we decided to do a do or die lesson with him.  We went to his house on Wednesday, and just talked.  We asked him how he felt and if he felt like he was ready or willing to take the step.  He said No right off the bat and it seemed like it would be a no for sure.  My comp. bore his testimony, then I bore my testimony, and as I was sitting there talking, I was feeling SUPER sad.  Haha I care for that guy so much.  But he looked up after a few seconds of silence and said "I don't feel ready for baptism because I have hate in my heart." There is a family in the ward, and they had a son that hung out with J all his life.  They were the best of buds, and he and J would just do everything together, including decisions. He was gunned down in front of his house 6 months ago 2 houses up the street from J's house.  Since then J would go out and look for the guys that did it and everything changed, because he lost his best friend.

We all sat there in silence for a while, and D, J's brother spoke up and bore his testimony.  He said he too had to overcome hate.  He told a story about how someone beat up and almost killed his older brother.  D carried his brother home and pulled out the shotgun he kept under his bed.  He set out and searched the whole night for the guy.  He found him at about 11 at night in his house.  The guy turned out to be an old friend of D.  D said, "I put the shotgun to his forehead, and said today you die".  But just as he was about to pull the trigger, he felt a hand on his hand and a voice tell him "No".  D bore his testimony of the church and how the Holy Ghost has helped him and been the best decision he has ever made in his life.  That he had been saved from so many situations because of the love God has for him.  

J sat there and turned to us and said, "I want to be baptized".  We had the service Saturday and the confirmation Sunday.  I baptized him, and I swear and I testify that there is no sweeter or better feeling in the world than helping others.  I testify and I know that this is what it really means to live!  To see lives changed and hearts touched.  I love the mission so much.  We are working with his wife and hopefully she will enter the church with him the 16th of this month.

We are working hard here and just tearing it up.  We found 31 new people to teach and we expect to change even more here in the ward.  My comp and I are doing good, and everything is going great!

I love you guys and hope that you all have a good week!
-Elder Vincent


No comments:

Post a Comment